Construction & Closure Information of West Portion of Big John Parking Lot
September 8, 2021
Construction on the western portion of Big John parking lot, located off SE 47th Terrace, is almost complete. Crews plan to sealcoat the parking lot tomorrow, Thursday, September 9. The entire west end of the parking lot will be closed for approximately 24 hours in order to allow the sealcoat to cure. Parking is available in the remaining sections of the Big John parking lot and other City-owned lots in the area. The entire parking lot is expected to be open by the weekend.
Improvements made to the westernmost section of the parking lot include the following:
- Seal coating the existing asphalt
- Restriping parking spaces
- Replacing the sidewalk
- Adding new curb borders
- Removing four oak trees in the middle of the lot because the tree roots damage the asphalt
- Replacing the trees with Christmas Palms
- Installation of irrigation around the new palms
Modifications match improvements made to the center section of the parking lot during the 47th Terrace Streetscape project.