Accessibility Information

Development Services

Common Code Compliance Issues

Year-Round Watering Schedule:
Click HERE for the City of Cape Coral watering schedule

Obnoxious Growth:
Grass, weeds, vines, palmetto scrub or other noxious growth must be kept less than 12 inches high. This includes all portions of an owner’s property, including along fences and poles.

Garbage and Trash Collection:
No refuse receptacle shall be placed out for collection earlier than 5:00 p.m. on the day prior to and the receptacles shall be taken in after the collection has been made that evening.

 Horticultural Collection:
Horticulture refuse too large for receptacles and consisting of tree branches, brush, trimmings shall be cut in lengths not exceeding 6 feet and not more than 50 pounds.  Palm fronds must be neatly stacked with fronds facing the same direction. Horticulture can be placed in carts, cans or paper horticulture bags accumulations shall be bundled and tied and placed in compact piles at curbside or street line within the confines of residents’ or owners’ side property lines. Deposits of refuses shall not obstruct pedestrian or vehicular traffic. No refuse shall be placed on property owned or occupied by others without permission.

 Litter, Trash and Debris:
Litter, trash, and debris cannot be left in yard and must be disposed of properly. This includes broken or junk vehicles, vehicle parts, appliances, building materials, tires, trash, paper, cardboard, plastics, plant trimmings, fallen limbs, palm fronds, and fruit.

 Storage of Junk:
Storage of junk is not permitted. For example, indoor items that cannot be kept outside include household appliances, auto parts, indoor furniture and building materials. Examples of items that can be stored outside include barbecue grills, lawn furniture, hoses, garden tools, and outdoor play equipment.

 Nuisance Accumulations:
The City prohibits outdoor storage of items throughout the year due to natural weather events and to protect property values. Nuisance accumulations include the storage of materials which do not meet the definition of garbage, refuse or rubbish and which may have some real or perceived value to the owner of private property upon which it is located, but which constitutes by its existence, a nuisance in that it devalues the underlying or adjacent property, creates a public nuisance, nuisance per se or attractive nuisance, as defined by law, or threatens the public health, safety and welfare.

Prohibited Parking on Pervious Surfaces:
Parking is prohibited on any pervious surfaces in residential zoning districts. The prohibition includes, but is not limited to parking on the grass, sod, shell, rocks, dirt, or stones. In residential zoning districts, parking is permitted on approved impervious surfaces, which includes concrete, asphalt, paver block, stone pavers and rock pavers. 

Vacant Lots:
Parking or storage of vehicles or watercraft on vacant lots is prohibited.

Inoperable Vehicles:
Inoperable or unregistered motor vehicles, boats, and boat trails cannot be stored except in a fully enclosed structure. An inoperable vehicle is one that is not equipped with all the parts that is necessary to legally and safely operate on public streets. Also included is any vehicle, registered or unregistered, with one or more flat tires that cannot be driven under its own power.

Commercial Vehicles:
Parking is thoroughly regulated in the city. Commercial vehicles, trailers, etc., are regulated both on vacant lots and in all residential neighborhoods.

Boats & Boat Trailers:
Boats and boat trailers may be parked or stored in the rear yard behind the last structural wall of the primary structure. Boats and boat trailers may not be parked, stored or kept in front or side yard of a single or multi-family residence, or on a vacant lot in a residential area. A maximum or two boats on trailers, or an empty boat trailer may be parked in the rear yard provided it/they are not allowed to fall into a state of disrepair. All boats and boat trailers must have a current registration from the State of Florida. This requirement also applies to any boats moored at docks or seawalls or stored on boat lifts or davits.

Boat Parking Permits:
When  a boat is owned or leased by the person who also owns or leases the residential property on which such boat is to be parked upon the premises of the resident for a permit not exceeding 72 hours for loading and cleaning provided that a permit is first obtained from the City.

There shall be a minimum of a 48-hours interval between the expiration of one permit and the issuance of another and you must have a permit.

RV  Permits:
Recreation vehicles may be parked entirely within the confines of a garage or carport. However, when a RV is used for visitor transportation, a 10-day permit can be obtained allowing temporary residential parking. Residents can also obtain a temporary RV permit for 72 hours before and again after 48 hours after a trip. Pop-up campers are allowed in a closed state (only) in the rear yard of a residential property. For permits call Code at 239.574.0613.

All structural repairs, additions, accessory structures to residential or commercial property require a permit from the City. Repairs include new fencing, most plumbing, and electrical work, driveway alterations, changes to swales, right-of-way, and sheds. Converting a screened porch or lanai to a room is permissible, but only after a building permit is obtained. Before beginning the work, call 239.574.0546.

All property owners are responsible for maintaining the city owned right-of-way lying between the owner’s property boundaries and the pavement.

Non-Domestic Animals:
Except as allowed in this section, it is not lawful for any person to keep, raise, maintain, or pasture an animal that does not fit under the definition of a domestic animal including, but not limited to, cattle, chickens, goats, sheep, swine, other livestock, exotic, or wild animals in all zoning districts, whether improved or unimproved. The provisions of this section shall not apply to any property located in a district zoned Agricultural.

Garage Sales:
Garage sales may be conducted for a period of up to 3 consecutive days, no more than 3 per calendar year per residence, and no more than one sale in a 30 day period. To obtain a permit, you can get one at or at the Code Office.

Call 811 before you dig:
Smart digging means knowing where utility lines are buried before you dig in order to protect yourself from injury and prevent damage to underground utility lines. One easy call to "811" starts the process of getting underground utility lines marked for FREE. Calling 811 in Florida routes you to Sunshine State One Call. Your utility companies then send a professional locator to your location to mark underground lines within two full business days. Once the lines are marked, you will know the approximate location of your utility lines and can dig safely.

Other Helpful Numbers:
City of Cape Coral Main Line (239) 574-0401
Lee County Animal Control  (239) 533-7387 
Hyacinth & Mosquito Control (239) 694-2174
Citizens Action Center (239) 574-0425    
Parks & Recreation (239) 573-3128
Non-Emergency Police and Fire (239) 574-3223  
Building Permits (239) 574-0546
Cape Coral Licensing  (239) 574-0430                                      
Waste Pro  (239) 945-0800
Customer Billing Services  (239) 574-7722
Utilities (Water breakages or main breaks)    (239) 574-0891         
Cape Coral Affordable Housing (239) 471-0922
Friends of Wildlife (239) 980-2593
Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FFWCC) Hotline (863) 648-3200
CROW (Clinic for the Rehabilitation of Wildlife) (239) 472-3644
Lee County Electric (239) 656-2300