Accessibility Information

Code Compliance Division

Zoning Compliance

A Business Tax Receipt (BTR) is required for every person or persons engaging in or managing any business, profession, or occupation. This is the last phase of the process for commercial and home-based businesses. The City Clerk's Office now issues Cape Coral BTRs. Visit the Business Tax Receipts Page for details and application forms

Contractor Licensing and Registration Changes

The City of Cape Coral no longer issues local contractor licensing (Ordinance 10-23), consistent with HB 735. Those interested in obtaining a new contractor license should contact the Florida Department of Business & Professional Regulation regarding State license approval processes.

All contractors must be licensed by the state to apply for certain permit types. Certain trades do not require a state license to apply for a permit. Please reference the table below to determine how this change affects your trade and licensure requirements.
Licensing Crosswalk UPDATED

Contractors must register with the City of Cape Coral to be able to apply for a permit for any trade. They must utilize the EnerGov Customer Self-Service (CSS) portal to apply for all permits.

  • Contractors who already have a state license or certification for their specific trade(s) only need to verify that their state license is up to date for their registration. This may be done by logging into the CSS portal. EnerGov will verify the state license status at the time of permit application.
  • Contractors whose trade no longer requires a license and are registered with the city do not need to take any action.
  • Contractors who previously had a city specialty contractor license are now required to have a state license if their specific trade requires a state specialty or contractor's license. Please review the licensure crosswalk to ensure you have the appropriate license for your trade.

The city no longer requires or validates contractor insurance, worker’s compensation, or any previous city license requirement. Only the state license or certification will be verified, which will occur each time a permit application is made.

City Code

The following links take you to the chapters of the City Code that pertain to the guidelines, fees, and penalties for engaging in or managing any business, profession, or occupation.

Zoning Compliance Forms

Home-Based/Commercial Business

Please complete the appropriate forms and mail them to the following:        

City Zoning Division
P.O. Box 150027
Cape Coral, FL 33915-0027

Applying for a Business Tax Receipt is the last phase of the process for Commercial and Home-Based Businesses. Visit the Business Tax Receipts Page for details and application forms

Search for Businesses or Contractors
You can search for contractors through the Energov software on the City website. On the software's main page, click 'Contractors' for Contractors or 'Licenses' for businesses. 

On the home page, there are various options in the pull-down menus under "Search Field" and "Operator."  When you have determined what you would like to search, i.e., owner name, license type, company name, etc., you enter the search parameters in the field titled 'Search String.'  For example - to search for Pool contractors, select License Type in the Search Field and enter 'pool' in the Search String area.  The list of pool contractors will appear in the box below.

--> Click here for information on choosing a contractor

The City ensures that all contractors and vendors doing business in the City are properly licensed under applicable City and State regulations and investigates alleged violations of local, state, and regional codes and ordinances.

To report an Unlicensed Contractor performing work within the City of Cape Coral, call 239-242-3783  or email Cape Coral Code Compliance at