Accessibility Information

Code Compliance Division

Business Tax Receipts / Licensing

A Business Tax Receipt (BTR) is required for every person or persons engaging in or managing any business, profession, or occupation.
The Code Compliance Division issues Business Tax Receipts.  All Business Tax Receipts shall be sold beginning July 1 of each year, are due and payable on or before September 30 of each year, and shall expire on September 30 of the succeeding year. When a business, profession, or occupation requiring a Business Tax Receipt is started after the first quarter of a fiscal year, the Business Tax Receipt will be computed on a quarterly basis.

Contact Code Compliance at (239) 574-0430 for required receipts and fees.  

Hours of Operation:  
Monday through Friday
7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

Email questions to Licensing/Business Tax Division at:

Phase Out of Local Specialty Contractor Licensing
The City of Cape Coral no longer issues local specialty contractor licensing (Ordinance 10-23), consistent with HB 735. All local specialty contractor licenses expired on February 1, 2023, and will not be renewed. The Construction Regulation Board has also been phased out as of February 1, 2023. Those interested in obtaining a new contractor license should contact the Florida Department of Business & Professional Regulation regarding State license approval processes.

Contractor Licensing and Registration Changes
House Bill 735, The Pre-emption of Local Occupational Licensing, eliminates local government licensing for construction trades. As a result, the City will no longer renew or accept new applications for city licensure. Effective July 1, 2023, contractors must be licensed with the state to apply for certain permit types. Certain trades do not require a state license to apply for a permit. Please reference the attached table to determine how this change affects your trade and licensure requirements.

Contractors must still register with the City of Cape Coral to be able to apply for a permit for any trade and must utilize the EnerGov Customer Self-Service (CSS) portal to apply for all permits.

  • Contractors who already have a state license or certification for their specific trade(s) only need to verify that their state license is up to date for their registration. This may be done by logging into the CSS portal. EnerGov will verify the state license status at the time of permit application.
  • Contractors whose trade no longer requires a license and are registered with the city do not need to take any action.
  • Contractors who previously had a city specialty contractor license are now required to have a state license if their specific trade requires a state specialty or contractor's license. Please review the licensure crosswalk to ensure you have the appropriate license for your trade.

The city will no longer require or validate contractor insurance, worker’s compensation, or any previous city license requirement. Only the state license or certification will be verified, which will occur each time a permit application is made.

If you are still determining if your trade requires a license, please review the licensure crosswalk and the Licensing / Certification Frequently Asked Questions on the city website and included in this publication. If you still have questions or concerns regarding your license or certification, please email or call (239)574-0430.

Licensing Crosswalk UPDATED

City Code
The following links take you to the chapters of the City Code, which pertain to the guidelines, fees, and penalties relating to engaging in or managing any business, profession, or occupation.

Business Tax Receipts / Licensing General Information  


Business Tax Receipts Home/Commercial Business

Please complete the appropriate forms and mail them to the following:        

    Code Compliance Division
    P.O. Box 150027
    Cape Coral, FL 33915-0027

Search for Businesses or Contractors
You can search for contractors through the Energov software on the City website. On the main page of the software, click on 'Contractors' for Contractors or 'Licenses' for businesses. 

On the home page, there are various options in the pull-down menus under "Search Field" and "Operator."  When you have determined what you would like to search, i.e., owner name, license type, company name, etc., you enter the search parameters in the field titled 'Search String.'  For example - to search for Pool contractors, select License Type in the Search Field and enter 'pool' in the Search String area.  The list of pool contractors will appear in the box below.

--> Click here for information on choosing a contractor

Ensures that all contractors and vendors doing business in the City are properly licensed under applicable City and State regulations and investigates alleged violations of local, state, and regional codes and ordinances.

To report an Unlicensed Contractor performing work within the City of Cape Coral, call 239-242-3783  or email Cape Coral Code Compliance at