Accessibility Information

Code Compliance Division

Common Code Violations

The following list includes some of the most common areas of code violations in Cape Coral. (Click on each listing below or scroll down for more information.) 

While a basic overview is included on this page, please see the Cape Coral Code of Ordinances and Land Development Use Regulations section of the Municode website for complete details of Cape Coral's regulations and restrictions.

Building (& Property) Maintenance:
Vehicle Parking & Storage:

--> Click here for information on how to file a complaint about a code violation


Watering Days:
The City of Cape Coral has a two-day, year-round watering schedule based on the last number of street addresses.
--> Click here to see the City of Cape Coral’s watering schedule and other irrigation guidelines.

Obnoxious Growth:
Grass, weeds, vines, palmetto scrub, and other obnoxious growth must be kept less than 12 inches high. This includes all portions of an owner’s property, including along fences and poles.

Garbage and Trash Collection:
No refuse receptacle shall be placed out for collection earlier than 5:00 p.m. on the day before, and the receptacles shall be taken in after the collection has been made that evening.

Horticultural Collection:
Horticulture refuse that is too large for receptacles and consists of tree branches, brush, and trimmings shall be cut in lengths not exceeding 6 feet and not more than 50 pounds.  Palm fronds must be neatly stacked with fronds facing the same direction. Horticulture can be placed in carts, cans, or paper horticulture bags. Accumulations shall be bundled and tied and placed in compact piles at the curbside or street line within the confines of residents’ or owners’ side property lines. Deposits of refuses shall not obstruct pedestrian or vehicular traffic. No refuse shall be placed on property owned or occupied by others without permission.
--> Click here to see the City of Cape Coral’s trash/bulk waste and recycling collection days.

Litter, Trash, and Debris:
Litter, trash, and debris cannot be left in the yard and must be disposed of properly. This includes broken or junk vehicles, vehicle parts, appliances, building materials, tires, trash, paper, cardboard, plastics, plant trimmings, fallen limbs, palm fronds, and fruit.

Storage of Junk:
Storage of junk is not permitted. For example, indoor items that cannot be kept outside include household appliances, auto parts, indoor furniture, and building materials. Some items that can be stored outside include barbecue grills, lawn furniture, hoses, garden tools, and outdoor play equipment.

Nuisance Accumulations:
The City prohibits outdoor storage of items throughout the year due to natural weather events and to protect property values. Nuisance accumulations include the storage of materials that do not meet the definition of garbage, refuse or rubbish and which may have some real or perceived value to the owner of private property upon which it is located but which constitutes by its existence, a nuisance in that it devalues the underlying or adjacent property, creates a public nuisance, nuisance per se or attractive nuisance, as defined by law, or threatens the public health, safety, and welfare.

All property owners are responsible for maintaining the city-owned right-of-way lying between the owner’s property boundaries and the pavement.

Building/Repair Permits:
All structural repairs, additions, and accessory structures to residential or commercial property require a permit from the City. Repairs include new fencing, most plumbing and electrical work, driveway alterations, and changes to swales, right-of-way, and sheds. Converting a screened porch or lanai to a room is permissible, but only after a building permit is obtained. Before beginning the work, call 239.574.0546.

--> Click here for details on various permits/forms required for building in Cape Coral

Calling 811 Before You Dig:
Smart digging means knowing where utility lines are buried before digging to protect yourself from injury and prevent damage to underground utility lines. One easy call to "811" starts the process of getting underground utility lines marked for FREE. Calling 811 in Florida routes you to Sunshine State One Call. Your utility companies then send a professional locator to your location to mark underground lines within two full business days. Once the lines are marked, you will know the approximate location of your utility lines and can dig safely.

International Property Maintenance Code
Cape Coral has adopted the 2021 International Property Maintenance Code.


Prohibited Parking on Pervious Surfaces:
Parking is prohibited on any pervious surfaces in residential zoning districts. The prohibition includes but is not limited to parking on grass, sod, shell, rocks, dirt, or stones. In residential zoning districts, parking is permitted on approved impervious surfaces, including concrete, asphalt, paver block, stone pavers, and rock pavers. 

Prohibited Parking on Vacant Lots:
Parking or storage of vehicles or watercraft on vacant lots is prohibited.

Inoperable Vehicles:
Inoperable or unregistered motor vehicles, boats, and boat trailers cannot be stored except in a fully enclosed structure. An inoperable vehicle is one that is not equipped with all the parts that are necessary to legally and safely operate on public streets. Also included is any vehicle, registered or unregistered, with one or more flat tires that cannot be driven under its own power.

Commercial Vehicles:
Parking is thoroughly regulated in the city. Commercial vehicles, trailers, etc., are regulated on vacant lots and in all residential neighborhoods.

Boats & Boat Trailers:
Boats and boat trailers may be parked or stored in the rear yard behind the last structural wall of the primary structure. Boats and boat trailers may not be parked, stored, or kept in the front or side yard of a single or multi-family residence or a vacant lot in a residential area. A maximum of two boats on trailers or an empty boat trailer may be parked in the rear yard, provided it/they are not allowed to fall into a state of disrepair. All boats and boat trailers must have a current registration from the State of Florida. This requirement also applies to boats moored at docks, seawalls, or stored on boat lifts or davits.

Boat Parking Permits:
When a boat is owned or leased by the person who also owns or leases the residential property on which such boat is to be parked upon the resident’s premises for a permit not exceeding 72 hours for loading and cleaning, provided that a permit is first obtained from the City. T
here shall be a minimum of a 48-hour interval between the expiration of one permit and the issuance of another, and you must have a permit. Boat parking permits are now available online using the EnerGov Customer Self-Service (CSS) portal. 
Note: When in the CSS portal, click on the "Apply" button, then the "All" button,  then "RV/Boat Permit"
--> Click here to access the CSS portal and for instructions on how to use EnerGov

RV Parking Permits:
Recreation vehicles may be parked entirely within the confines of a garage or carport. However, when an RV is used for visitor transportation, a 10-day permit can be obtained, allowing temporary residential parking. Residents can also get a temporary RV permit for 72 hours before and after 48 hours after a trip. Pop-up campers are permitted in a closed state (only) in the rear yard of a residential property. RV parking permits are now available online using the EnerGov Customer Self-Service (CSS) portal. 
Note: When in the CSS portal, click on the "Apply" button, then the "All" button,  then "RV/Boat Permit"
--> Click here to access the CSS portal and for instructions on how to use EnerGov


Business Signs:
Cape Coral has a sign ordinance that defines what type and size a business sign may be. 
--> Click HERE to review ARTICLE 7 SIGNS

Garage Sales:
Garage sales (aka yard, estate, carport, or patio sales) may be conducted for up to three consecutive days, with no more than three garage sales per calendar year, per residence, and no more than one sale in a 30-day period. You can obtain a permit at or the Code Office.
Review Garage Sale Ordinance HERE under ARTICLE 5: Chapter 9: Section 5.9.4 before conducting a garage sale. 
--> Click here for a Garage Sale Permit

Non-Domestic Animals:

Except as allowed in this section, it is not lawful for any person to keep, raise, maintain, or pasture an animal that does not fit under the definition of a domestic animal, including, but not limited to, cattle, chickens, goats, sheep, swine, other livestock, exotic, or wild animals in all zoning districts, whether improved or unimproved. The provisions of this section shall not apply to any property located in a district zoned Agricultural.