Accessibility Information

City Clerk

Frequently Asked Questions

Please find answers to questions frequently asked regarding the City Clerk's Office.  Please note that these FAQs are provided as a public service and are general in nature; information may be subject to change.

City Clerk FAQs
Public Records FAQs

If you have additional questions you can contact the City Clerk's office Monday - Friday from 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. by dialing 239-574-0411 or emailing City Clerk Email

City Clerk - Frequently Asked Questions

Can I find an elevation certificate for my property online?
Many elevation certificates are available online.  Property search.
*Search tip: Once on the page, search by document type, select 'elevation certificates' from the pull-down menu and enter your address below.  If your address is not found, you can try searching different ways:  use the asterisk * as a wildcard (ie: *18th pl*), use no periods, put spaces in between the directions (NW or N W), and most broadly you can just type your street number and view all with the associated addresses to see if you can locate yours.  If you are unsuccessful in locating your elevation certificate you can contact the City Clerk's office by online records request, email City Clerk Email, or by phone as listed above.
Where can I submit my Passport application?
The Office of the City Clerk serves as a passport acceptance facility for the U.S. Department of State.    Information pertaining to your application can be found online under Passport Services.  Detailed information regarding current requirements and fees, Consular information sheets and downloadable application forms can also be found on the U.S. Department of State website - Department of State Passport Agency.  
Where can I find the council meetings?
City meetings are posted to the meeting calendar available online. Agendas, Minutes or Videos of City meetings.
How do I contact the 311 Call Center, formerly Citizen's Action Center?
The 311 Call Center, formerly Citizen's Action Center, offers citizens a way to obtain information about city services, ask questions of city staff, report problems within the city, and submit requests for service as well as provide the status of their questions and requests. They can be reached by phone by dialing 311 or 239-574-0425.

You can also submit your questions or problems online - To access the online 311 Call Center, formerly Citizen's Action Center, 311 Call Center Online here 311 Call Center Online here  

Where can I find the Code of Ordinances and Land Use and Development Regulations?
The City of Cape Coral has transitioned the City Code of Ordinances and Land Use and Development Regulations to a searchable database provided by Municipal Code Corporation. The site allows visitors to search for specific Codes, as well as Land Use and Development Regulations. To view the City of Cape Coral's Code of Ordinances and Land Use and Development Regulations, Code and Land Use Regulations. The supplements for the Codes and Land Use Regulations are posted on a quarterly basis - the most up-to-date version can be found online on the Municode website.
Who do I call - the City Clerk or the Clerk of Courts?
The City Clerk’s Office often receives calls from citizens asking questions or seeking documents that should be obtained from the Lee County Clerk of Courts.  The list below gives a quick outline of what documents can be obtained from each office. 

Provided by the City Clerk's Office:
  • Passports
  • Elevation Certificates
  • Copies of House Plans and Permits
  • City Ordinances and Resolutions (The Code of Ordinances is also hosted by the Municode Website.)
  • Site Plans

Research Requests
The Records Management Department of the City Clerk's Office handles research requests for Public Records.  A submittable request can be found on the Records Management page. If you would like to call your request in or have any questions, please call 239-574-0411.

Provided by the Lee County Clerk of Courts
The following information can be obtained from the Lee County Clerk of Courts. They can be reached at 239-533-5000. You may visit the Lee County Clerk of Courts website at Lee County Clerk of Courts
  • Marriage Licenses
  • Recording Documents for Public Records
    • Mortgages
    • Deeds
    • Probate
    • Affidavits
    • Notice of Commencement
    • Death Certificates
    • Change of Name
    • Declaration of Domicile
    • Judgments
    • Corporate Resolutions

Traffic Tickets and Small Claims Court
Other services that the Lee County Clerk of Courts provides are Traffic Tickets and Small Claims information. To speak to them regarding these issues, please call 239-533-5003.

Public Records - Frequently Asked Questions
How do I submit a Public Records Request?
You have many options when it comes to submitting a public records request:  

  • You can submit your request online; please Public Records Request to complete and submit your request online. 
  • You can email us at City Clerk Email
  • You can call us at 239-574-0411.
  • You can make your request in person at our front counter at 1015 Cultural Park Blvd. 
There may be a cost associated with your request. Please review the list below:
  • Documents printed from electronic storage:  $.15 per one-sided page or $.20 per double-sided page
  • Documents provided on CD:  $1.00
  • Documents provided on DVD: $1.50
  • Documents provided electronically normally do not have a charge associated.  

Please note that if your request is extensive in nature, there may be hourly charges for time spent on your request.  Please see the City's Extensive Public Records Request Policy for full details.

What is a Public Record?
A "Public Record" is defined in the Florida Statutes Ch. 119.011(1) as ....all documents, papers, letters, maps, books, tapes, photographs, films, sound recordings, data processing software, or other material, regardless of the physical form, characteristics, or means of transmission, made or received pursuant to law or ordinance or in connection with the transaction of official business by any agency. Essentially, this means that a public record is any document created or received by an agency in connection with official agency business. This can include paper documents as well as electronic documents such as email.

Can I request to view or receive a copy of City records?
Florida State Statute Chapter 119, Florida Statutes, was passed in 1909. This law provides citizens with access to the records of government. Section 119.07(1)(a) states: “Every person who has custody of a public record shall permit the record to be inspected and examined by any person desiring to do so, at any reasonable time, under reasonable conditions, and under supervision by the custodian of the public record or his designee.”

Can I inspect all City records?
Certain City documents may not be open for inspection.  There are exemptions to the Florida Public Records Law; Florida State Statutes Section 119.071 of the Florida Statutes provides details on general exemptions from inspecting or copying public records.   If a document contains exempt information and information that is public record, the exempt information will be redacted (blacked out) before it is released.

Examples of exemptions include:
    Social Security numbers
    Active criminal investigations
    Security system plans
    Examination questions and answer sheets
    Police Officers' home addresses